Sunday, August 19, 2012

Where has the time gone


 I can't believe the babies are already 2 months old.  It has been a crazy and tiring two months.  Since I'm finally coming out of the fog, I figured I'd better get some birth pictures uploaded. 

My goodness, that last 2 months of pregnancy was brutal.  I was so ready to be done.  I was having to do non stress tests twice a week and ultrasounds every week.  Every time I went to the hospital for those, I kind of hoped that I could stay.  But I made it to 37 weeks and survived.  They chose to induce me on Wed, June 2oth.  We arrived at the hospital around 8 in the morning.  By 8:30 or so they had started the iv.  The nurse wanted contractions to be a bit strong before they gave me the epidural.  So we waited.  Around 11:00 the doctor came in to give me the epidural and break Baby A's water.  I informed the nurse that once my water breaks, labor progresses very quickly.  Both Clara and Collin were born within 45 minutes of my water breaking.  I don't think the nurse believed me.  She came in an hour later to check on me and to her surprise, I was ready to deliver.  That was fast, she exclaimed.  Told you so.  She didn't even have time to give me the bladder catheter, which you can imagine was not pretty during delivery.  So they wheeled me down to the operating room.  She just had me lay there until the doctor came.  I was that close to delivering.  As soon as the doctor came I began pushing.  I pushed about 4 times and Celia came at 12:32 weighing 4 lbs 6 oz.  The doctor immediately broke Baby B's water and she arrived at 12:36 weighing 6 lbs. 4 oz.  Both babies were head down so I didn't need a C-section.  Thank goodness.  The doctor and nurse both agreed that that was the easiest twin delivery they had ever done.  Within minutes I was back down the hall to my room with two babies.  Completely unprepared for what was to come.  Both babies were healthy even though Celia was so small.  She was only a couple of ounces from having to go to the NICU.  She did have low blood sugar so they had to watch that.  Other than that she was great.  The nurses kept expecting her to fail all the tests and have to go to the NICU but she didn't.  Both babies were able to come home with us after 2 days.  And we hit the ground running.




Just waiting for the doctor.


Celia just minutes old.

Alice minutes old.

Can you see the look of terror behind those smiles?

Clara and Collin came within the hour.  They were so excited to hold their sisters.



Ready to go home.


The first day home, Sammy, a cousin came to visit.  She is 3 months older than the babies. 


This is what the first few days entailed.  Lots of sleeping. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so love pictures of baby twins. It just gets me right in the heart. Hope you are doing well. :)

Kira: said...

I'm so happy that they are both healthy and doing well. Are they also redheads? You and I are doing our parts to combat the rumor of redheads going extinct :-)

Congratulations.