Monday, October 27, 2008
Crazy Canners
Mark and I have gone crazy with the canning this year. Who knew we had it in us? Last year Mark and I planted a small garden and canned a few things of salsa. We also had a few apples from our apple tree so we canned just a few pints of applesauce. Feeling confident with our success we planted an even bigger garden this year. And thanks to the same ribbon technique that worked on our strawberries, our apples went crazy. We only threw away about 10 apples because of birds, where as last year we threw away more than half of what we picked. Problem is we had more apples than we knew what to do with. We canned 22 pints of applesauce, 6 quarts of cinnamon apples, and did 3 rounds of dried apples and still had more. So we made three lonely quarts of apple juice. The applesauce and apple juice turned out pink which Clara was delighted with. We also canned 11 quarts of pears (thanks to my cousin Michael's tree), 17 pints of salsa, 9 pints of spaghetti sauce, several jars of apricot jam (thanks to my sister's tree) and 11 quarts of grape juice (thanks to my mother in law's grapes). I know, we're crazy canners. 
The pink applesauce
The grape juice, all different colors because of several different kinds of grapes.
The apple juice.
Collin loved eating the first batch of dried apples. He ate probably one of these trays by himself the first day. That's like 8 apples. Not a fun diaper to change the next day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow it looks like you did a lot better than I did.
You are crazy canners! But what better quality you will get from doing it yourself. I will have to take some lessons from you. Next year call and I will come watch! I love the pink applesauce!
Making me want to try canning sometime. Good idea about apple drying. I think I'll try that! We have the same dehydrator.
Wow! We'll hike it down to Provo when the "Big One Hits." I'm pretty dang impressed. Most of our peaches fed the entire bird population of SLC. I'll have to remember the ribbons for next year.
You guys are out of control with all that food, what yummy food storage it makes huh? You have inspired me to bust out our dehydrator, then what do I do with it...
Post a Comment