Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Can you really get out of school for that?

So I got a call from Clara at school today. I just roll my eyes when I look down at my phone and it says the name of Clara's school. Clara has called me several times this year for everything from peeing her pants to falling on the playground. She has never been sick so I really don't know how she's getting the secretary to actually call me. Today took the cake though. So I answered the phone and Clara in her best whiny voice asked me to come pick her up. Mark was at work and I was teaching class in about 30 minutes so I told her no I probably couldn't come pick her up. "What's wrong?" I asked. "My lips are chapped" she responded. Really? The secretary let her call because her lips were chapped? Mark said it reminded him of Napoleon Dynamite. I told her to ask around to see if anybody had chapstick and she seemed okay with that. The question is, am I a horrible mother for not going to get her?

7 comments:

Melanie said...

You'd have been a horrible mother if you HAD gone to get her. That's amazing. And a little scary that she already wants out of school that badly. :)

Unknown said...

ha ha ha! Give her some Chapstick when she gets home that she can keep in her backpack. But seriously, that is so funny.

The Pea said...

I'm with Melanie It would have been horrible if you had gone to get her. But, it makes me wonder if maybe there is a REAL reason she wants to leave school??

But she is clever, I wonder what she will try next?

Ali said...

MY LIPS HURT REAL BAD!!!! That totally IS Napoleon Dynamite.

I used to call home all the time. Especially when my teeth hurt (I had braces at age 8) so chapped lips don't seem that crazy. But this is coming from me: a crazy person.

Natalie, Brian, Rachel, Erick said...

...Napolean just ask the school nurse, I know she has like 30 sticks in her drawer. "I'm not gonna use hers ya sicko!" I am laughing so hard right now! That is definately not something they should let her call home about! You are not a bad mom, but very clever!

Emily said...

You have to admit, her excuses are much more creative. Maybe you should make a chart of some of her best lines and start rating them. This one would totally be a 9.5 or maybe a five star excuse. Hilarious! Plus, you know me, I am quite possibly the meanest mother on the planet. Unless there is actual vomit or a temperature, they are staying at school.

lillysmum said...

Yep, terrible mother, you.
I am laughing my head off at that kid. Awesome.